As the school year winds to an end the teacher thank you gifts are on the top of my to do list. This year, inspired by my vegetable garden, I have been making edible potted plants for teachers (SHHHH don’t tell Mrs. T). I have had great fun searching the local nursery for different color and textured herbs and leafy greens.
After we put together the pots. I had the girls make garden ornaments to add their touch to the gift. Here is how we put them togehter:
Whimsical Garden Decor
- metal wire dry cleaning shirt hanger
- beads (pony beads work great)
- needle nosed pliers (with cutting capacity)
- pipe cleaners (optional)
- Cut up the shirt hanger into several six inch pieces. I avoided the twisted end because it made threading the beads too difficult.
- With the pliers twist one end into a loop.
- Have the kids start placing beads on the metal piece. Stop 1/2 way down the wire and bend the wire into a little zigzag this will prevent the beads from falling down.
- Stop there if you would like. Or put pipe cleaner “wings” on by twisting the pipe cleaner into two loops and then twisting it between two beads.
- Poke into potted plant.