We have had many friends live in New York City. Before kids we would visit often. Mostly just me traveling on the Fung Wah bus. One of my favorite places for brunch was Popover Cafe on the Upper West Side. They serve huge popovers with strawberry butter.
Fast forward seven years…we have been trying to make our own. A different we: me and the kids, with a little help from Molly Katzen’s book “Pretend Soup”, have had success. I do have an idea for the next batch: I will try to heat up the muffin tin before I pour the batter in. I think that will make the batter really pop over the edge.
Here is the recipe. It does not give justice to Molly’s. She has lovely drawings that are easy for kids to follow.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and melt butter
- Brush the insides of 12 spaces in the muffin tin with melted butter.
- Break eggs into mixing bowl.
- Add milk and beat well.
- Add flour and salt and whisk until reasonably well blended – it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Fill the muffin tin spaces about 1/2 – 2/3 full.
- Bake 30 minutes without opening the oven.
- Eat right away.