Sweet Potato Sausage Soup
(Adapted from a Martha Stewart FOOD magazine recipe)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed (I often get patties)
- 2 sweet potatoes (1lb) diced (I leave the skin on)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup small pasta cooked al dente
- 4 cups roughly chopped mixed greens (we like Kale the best)
- grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large pot heat oil. Add onions and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with spoon, until browned, 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potato, broth, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the sweet potatos are cooked. Add pasta and greens stir until the greens are wilted. Serve with Parmesan cheese.