Hunkering down last weekend preparing for the first snow storm of the season we decided to go with the best comfort food. Tomato soup and grilled cheese.
The recipe calls for roasting 28 ounces of caned whole tomatoes with a little brown sugar sprinkled on top. I have tried it and it is fabulous. The other night I didn’t have time to roast the tomatoes so I tried it the way I described below and it was also very tasty. I also substituted milk for cream with little difference.
(adapted from “The New Best Recipe” recipe for Cream of Tomato Soup)
- 28 ounces of crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- Melt butter in a large pot. Add onion and slowly caramelize with the brown sugar about 10 minutes.
- Once the onions are cooked add the tomato paste. Cook stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour, stir constantly for 30 seconds.
- Gradually add the chicken broth. Mix constantly until it thickens.
- Mix in the crushed tomatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes, until heated and flavors mix.
- Add milk and serve.
P. S. We don’t have a fire place in our dinning room. We brought an extra table into our living room to eat dinner because the dinning room table was covered by an epic Monopoly Game.