I had a big plan this summer to experiment with sauerkraut recipes and fermenting processes. The plan keeps getting lower and lower on my to do list. Next summer I will get a big crock and start some serious fermenting. I have started pickling cucumbers and I thought I might as well “put up” some cabbage too. It is the same way I have made sauerkraut for a couple years. Nothing exciting, but it works.
- white vinegar
- Cut cabbage and fill jars.
- Pour the boiling water in the jars until full.
- Put 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 tablespoon of vinegar into each jar.
- Seal the jar with the lid and rim.
- Let sauerkraut ferment for 6 weeks at room temperature. When the bubbling has stopped, it indicates that the fermenting period has finished.
- Either refrigerate and enjoy. Or process the jars in a boiling water bath canner for 15 minutes.
I put some diced garlic in the purple cabbage batch. We shall see if it changes the taste and or the fermenting. I guess I am doing a little experimenting after all!!