Here is a new twist that can be made with pumpkin, butternut squash, or acorn squash. I think I would recommend butternut because of the ease of peeling. I made this dish for a side, it can also be served as a main dish with brown rice or whole wheat couscous. The bean / whole grain combo makes a protein packed vegetarian dish (minus the bacon).
Pumpkin with White Beans and Bacon (Adapted from Real Simple October 2013)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small sugar pumpkin (about 1 and 1/2 lb) peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 15.5 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- Cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Let cool and break into pieces.
- In the same skillet add the pumpkins. Cook stirring occasionally until browned. Add the broth, oregano, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook until pumpkin is tender about 8 minutes.
- Add the beans and vinegar and heat through.
- Top with bacon.