Hurricane Sandy did not hit us very hard in New England. Some wind and rain and only 36 hours without power. I am hoping that others who were not as fortunate are recovering from the devastation well.
When we were home bound for only a day with the power on for most of it. Here is what was created:
Sandy the Dragon
- 3 paper towel rolls
- 4 toilet paper rolls
- paint brushes
- googly eyes
- yarn or ribbon
- hole punch
For the Dragon –
- Paint the paper towel rolls and one toilet paper roll. My big bow is very literal painting them green. Paint one toilet paper roll with fire color. Let dry.
- When dry cut one paper towel roll in 4 pieces for the tail.
- Cut another paper towel roll the long way and lay flat. Draw the feet and wings. Cut out.
- Cut out the fire. (Please note the left overs can make the optional crown)
- Glue the eyes in place, the fire in place, and the wings on. Let glue dry.
- Punch two holes in either side of the head (where ears should be), one on either end of the top of the body, two on either end of the bottom of the body, one in each foot, and two on each side of the tail pieces.
- Thread the yarn through as shown to put the dragon together.
For the Queen –
- Paint one toilet paper roll the shirt / face color. Paint the other the skirt color. Let dry.
- Cut the skirt as shown.
- Cut a head out of the other roll.
- Glue the skirt to the shirt and shirt to the head. And grab the fire/crown piece.
- I helped and braided some yarn for hair. Be creative with the yarn.
- Punch holes in the side of the body for arm yarn.