We have been looking for more vegetarian options so I thought I would try this out. I put my food processor to work doing all the mincing. The original recipe called for carrots, but we had run out so I substituted sweet potato. Their sweetness was a great balance to all the strong flavor from the cardamon and cumin.
Moroccan Lentil Soup
Adapted from allrecipe.com Moroccan Lentil Soup
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- cups water
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced sweet potato
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- I made my food processor do all the work for this recipe. I threw in the onion, garlic, and peeled ginger and diced them all at once. Then sauteed it all in olive oil.
- Then I diced the sweet potato and celery in the food processor too.
- I placed the beans, lentils, tomatoes, water, sweet potato, celery, cardamom, cayenne, cumin, and sauteed onion, garlic, and ginger into the slow cooker for about 4 hours on high or 8 on low. Cook until the lentils are soft.