(adapted from “Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home”)
This is an easy quick recipe that was inspired initially by wanting to find meals with out meat in them. I am also always looking for recipes where you can make a ton and freeze some for later. These work frozen!
Makes about 4 quesadillas
Sweet Potato Quesadilla Recipe
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 sweet potatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 tortillas (8-10 inch)
- Plain yogurt (in place of sour cream)
1. Cut the onion and sweet potato into big chunks. Peal the garlic. Place the garlic in a food processor and pulse until chopped. Add onion and sweet potato and pulse until in tiny pieces (may have to do in batches).
2. Add oil to pan (I use a large cast iron skillet). Add chopped up onion, sweet potato, garlic mixture to pan. Cook stirring constantly. Add oregano, chili powder, cumin. Cook until sweet potatoes are tender.
3. Take off the heat and mix in the cheese. Scoop onto one tortillas. Place anther on top. Clean out skillet and heat more oil. Warm up the quesadillas.
4. Serve with favorite salsa and plain yogurt.
To freeze place a piece of wax paper between each quesadilla. I can fit 2 or 3 into a gallon size freezer bag.