I often feel like my kids haven’t had enough for breakfast. I try to offer different things to see if something will click. Here is my latest offer.
Almond Jam Bars (adapted from Sept. 2015 Realsimple)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour (I like King Arthur flour)
- 1 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 8 tablespoon butter (next time I will try with coconut oil)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350
- Line 8×8 inch baking pan with 2 crisscrosses piece of parchment, leaving an over hange on all sides.
- In the food processor pulse the oats, flour, and 1 cup almonds until finely ground. Add the butter, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pulse to combine.
- Press all but 1/2 cup of mixture into prepared pan.
- Spread jam over pressed mixture.
- Coarsely chop the remaining almonds. Scatter the chopped almonds and 1/2 cup remaining mixture on the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes
- Let cool and cut into bars.