It is always so wonderful to have someone else cook for you. Especially when you are feeling blue. My friend Teresa made this stew for me and my family years ago. It is not necessarily a put-in-the-slow-cooker-and-leave-all-day recipe. It needs a little tending to. A perfect weekend stew that can be enjoyed during the week or frozen for later.
Teresa’s Moms Slow Cooked Beef Stew
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb beef chunks
- 1 onion
- 2 gloves garlic crushed
- 6 cup water
- 16 oz can crushed tomato
- 1 large sweet potato diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 bay leaves
- 16 oz can of chickpeas
- 2 Tb Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tb butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- Place raw ground beef, raw beef chunks, chopped onion, crushed garlic, and bay leaves into crock pot. Cover the ingredients with water. Cook the stew for 3 hours on high or until beef is cooked. The beef can be frozen.
- Remove cooked beef and let cool. Break up ground beef and shred chunks of beef.
- While you let the beef cool add the crushed tomato, diced sweet potato, diced carrots, and mushrooms to crock pot. Add shredded beef back in and cook for 2 hours or until sweet potato and carrots are cooked.
- Remove 2 cups liquid from the crock pot. Melt butter in sauce pan, whisk in flour. Whisk in about a half cup of the liquid you just took from the crock pot. Wait for it to thicken before you add more. Repeat until you use up all the liquid. When the liquid is thick add Worcestershire sauce. Stir liquid back into stew. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chickpeas cook until they are warmed and serve.
Pingback: Pasta Fraggle Rock | Two Clever Moms
Pingback: Slow cooker – Sesame Honey Chicken | Two Clever MomsTwo Clever Moms
Pingback: Beef Stew | Two Clever Moms